Thursday, January 05, 2006

Trip Report Day 1 - From LAX to San Luis Obispo

So they say you can never go home again, and boy, even when I do, the “home” of what I remember is just a jumbled juxtaposition of scrambled memories. A deep sand-dune valley that leads to a hidden cove with a worn outcropping? Never existed. False memories indeed. Everything is close, but not quite the way I remembered it. The mountains are more majestic. The dunes less so. The girls in the farmer’s market were definitely cuter than I remembered them J

Ahhhh.....something to be said about warmer weather leading to less clothing...

Getting the luggage and the car from LAX was a trip in and of itself! The AIRPORT lost our luggage and it took them about an hour before they found the whole CARGOHOLD worth! The whole time the announcement lady was so apologetic and kinda clues. She was like “Sorry about the delay, we will announce the baggage information for flight 163 as soon as it became available.” Ha!

Because of the new “we’re super cheap because we’re about to go bankrupt” policy of the United, I didn’t eat anything while I was on the flight. I drank some water to get me by but by the time I got the rental car it was SO late that I was past hungry and I think I was also a little delirious….until I hit Ventura when I couldn’t hold the car straight. Went to this burger joint (name I can’t remember) and it was a great burger J. I then stopped at another join in Santa Barabara and had some Americanized Mexican food from a chain called Wolly’s or something like that. Then I went to Solvang (so vain) – supposed reproduction of a Swedish town or something like that. Tourist trap. The "holiday" decoratios seems to have been up for so long that they have faded. As I walked around there are all these "happy elves" things that are hung from all the buildings. This one is especially interesting though:



Apparently this is the reason why nordic elves are SO happy ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home